Saturday, July 7, 2012

Appreciating Rochester and Rochester Hills

From time to time it is a good idea to stop, take a breath, and appreciate the beauty of our surroundings.  Those of us who live in the greater Rochester area are richly blessed; our natural environment is lush and welcoming.  I recently ran across a poem published in the Rochester Clarion on February 23, 1934, in which a former Rochester resident named David Reid took the time to admire what he saw around him.  I'll let the poem speak for itself:

ROCHESTER HILLS
by David Reid
I've seen the Blue Ridge Mountains
And the Rockies in the west
But when compared for beauty
The Rochester Hills are best.

We seldom if ever realize
And we sometimes have to roam
Before we can fully appreciate
The beauties we have at home.

I've stood on the bridge in summer
Where many hills are seen
And admired the beautiful scenery
When most everything was green.

I've seen their hills in winter
All covered with ice and snow
I stood in admiration
Till my face was all aglow.

I've watched the sun shining
Many times during the day
On these hills so brightly
That it drove all cares away.

I've seen the sun go down
Behind these hills at night
With colors so impressive
It sure was a beautiful sight.

To Rochester, Nature has been good
And as kind as it could be
It made these hills with beauty
So all that would, could see.
I don't have any further information about the poet, but he did publish several other pieces in the Rochester Clarion around the same time period.  Whoever he was, he clearly appreciated where he lived; 78 years later, his words still ring true.

No comments:

Post a Comment