Sunday, July 26, 2009

Main Street Stories: 133 S. Main


The building at 133 S. Main was built in 1929 as an automotive dealership. Ralph B. Garner purchased the Chevrolet dealership in Rochester from partners Habel & O'Brien in 1928 and began construction of a new garage and sales room on the west side of Main, between Second Street and the bridge. The new structure was built by Dillman & Upton and included a spacious showroom and offices across the front of the building, while the rear space included the repair garage, tool room and wash rack.

A grand opening of Garner Chevrolet's new building was held on February 16, 1929 and featured dancing accompanied by Pat Dollahan's Recording Orchestra and movies of the General Motors Proving Grounds near Milford, Michigan. At the time, Garner Chevrolet was offering everything from a six-cylinder roadster for $525 to a convertible Landau model priced at $695.

L. Keith Crissman bought Garner Chevrolet in January 1953; in October of the same year, he moved the dealership to a new location on South Hill. After the auto dealership moved out, the building at 133 S. Main served as the home of the Food Center grocery store for the next three decades. The Food Center closed its doors in the 1980s, and the building was remodeled for the current occupant, a FedEx Kinko's copy center.

The building at 133 S. Main celebrates its 80th birthday this year.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful story

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use to buy candy at Food Center. Remember the little mom and pop store kitty corner from Central Jr. High?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure do! Alward's - later Hurley's - Market. You may read more about it here:
    http://rochesteravonhistory.blogspot.com/2010/01/bygone-business-hurleys-market.html

    ReplyDelete