Saturday, March 17, 2012

Subdivision Stories: Avondale Park

The city of Rochester includes a tiny subdivision north of Romeo Street and east of North Main that was called Avondale Park when it was platted in 1915. Laid out on a ten-acre parcel on the northern boundary of the Woodward Addition, Avondale Park further subdivided blocks 4,5,6 and 7 of the larger plat.  It was created and offered for sale by Pontiac real estate developers J. B. Mahaffy and Israel E. Terry, whose names are reflected in the subdivision's streets. Most lots in Avondale Park could be had for under $200, as shown in this 1915 advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment