Thursday, January 1, 2015

This Month in Rochester History

1945 U.S. topographical map of downtown Rochester, before the flood
2011 U.S. topographical map of downtown Rochester

The year 1965 ushered in a number of changes to the landscape in the village of Rochester.  In January 1965, the village council took up the long-overdue development of the old mill pond, which had been destroyed by a storm and flood in June 1946.  The area had been essentially a wasteland ever since,  and finally a development plan for the 27-acre site lying east of Water Street was brought forth.  The proposal included the extension of East University Drive through the area from its terminus at Water Street all the way to Elizabeth Street with a new bridge across Paint Creek, and a 7-acre parcel for a brand-new clubhouse and banquet center for the Rochester Elks.  Developers also planned an all-electric apartment complex (known today as the Paint Creek Condominiums).


  1. Actually there was no "University Drive" then. Outside the Village Limits it was called "Walton Blvd". Inside the Village Limits it was called "5th Street". It ended East of Water Street about 20 yards or so at the NYC Train Tracks and the loading platform for the train station.

    1. Fifth Street in the village of Rochester was renamed University Drive on July 1, 1959, in honor of the presence of Oakland University. At the time that the mill pond development was approved in January 1965, the street had already been named University Drive for 5 1/2 years. See the post at for details.